About the Club
The first shoot was conducted at Para on February 9, 1969. Among the original shoot organisers were Bill Hambley-Clark, George and Orial Francis, George Barnes, Gil Hartwig, Les Tomkins, Colin Matthews and Jarvis Langford – who was also Para’s first President. The current President is Steve Nicholas.
Today Para is a very diverse club with more than 620 members. Para has been involved with the Life be in it campaigns, Security Training, Government Training and Scout/Cadet Groups. The Branch has also hosted National Championships in all of the rifle and pistol disciplines, the Masters Games events, and Trans Tasman competitions.
Situated north-east of Adelaide, about 35 minutes from the CBD, the Para Branch is easy to get to, always active and very family-orientated. New members are always welcome.
Ranges Facilities Include:
- a main rifle range out to 300yds
- a 100-meter rimfire range
- a 50-meter pistol and rifle and running target range
- two 25m turning target pistol ranges
- a 25m pistol range
- an indoor ten-meter air pistol/rifle range
- a field shotgun range
- an IPSC/Single Action Range.
When do we shoot
- The club is open 7 days a week.
- 10am to 4pm weekdays, and 10am to between 4pm to 6pm on weekends (subject to RO supervision).
- The range is closed Christmas day and the Morning of ANZAC day.
- Members and visitors are advised to call the range to check availability for general shooting
What do we shoot
SSAA Para strives to be a club that can offer a large variety of shooting activities for its members and visitors. Below is a list of current shooting disciplines offered at Para. However, if there is new match you are interested in doing and it is not listed, then please contact the club and we will see what needs to be done to accommodate it.
- Field Rifle, 3-Positional, Scoped Air Rifle and NRA Any Sight (also affiliated with TRSA)
- Benchrest (also affiliated with TRSA)
- Black Powder – Muzzle Loading (Rifle, Pistol and Shotgun)
- Collectors Club
- Combined Services (Rifle and Pistol)
- Field Shotgun
- Handgun Metallic Silhouette (Air, Field Pistol and Big Bore) also affiliated with IHMSA
- ISSF Olympic Pistol (Air, Free, Sport, Centerfire, Standard, Service, Rapid) also affiliated with SARPA
- Junior Club (Air Rifle and Rimfire Rifle)
- Lever Action & Gallery Rifle
- NRA Target Pistol
- Practical Shooting (Rifle, Pistol & Shotgun) also affiliated with IPSC
- Rifle Metallic Silhouette (Scoped and Cowboy Lever Action)
- Single Action Shooting (Rifle & Pistol)
- Single Shot Rifle (Black Powder, Centrefire and Rimfire)
- ISSF Rifle (Air Rifle and Smallbore)
- ISSF Running Target (Coming soon – range under repairs)
- SSAA Big Game Rifle